Dogs are susceptible to many diseases that people face. A runny nose in a dog is a common inflammation of the mucous membranes of the sinuses. It is important to recognize this disease at an early stage while the disease is in its initial form. It is necessary to find the cause of the ailment, because sometimes a runny nose speaks not of a common cold, but of a plague or inflammation of the larynx.
Symptoms of a runny nose in dogs
Along with a runny nose, there are general symptoms indicating a dog's malaise:
- The animal’s condition becomes lethargic, the dog does not show interest in his favorite toys, spends most of his time in a dream, and may refuse to go for a walk.
- Possible loss of appetite or its complete loss, even the once beloved goodies do not cause the same emotions.
- In some cases, an elevated body temperature was recorded, but even if it is normal, this does not mean the dog’s health.
Symptoms indicating a runny nose in a dog are as follows:
- The pet begins to sneeze often, and this is not due to the fact that he breathed dust. Against this background, dryness of the nasopharynx appears, the dog licks its nose, tries to reach it with its paw.
- Breathing is difficult, especially when the dog is sleeping. There is a whistle from the nose, sniffling, snorting. Such sounds are similar to the sounds of a cold person.
- It is seen that in the nose and under it, discharge formed, they can be fluid or viscous, transparent and marsh, it depends on the causative agent of the disease. Frozen crusts appear under the nose.
- Due to severe itching, the dog may rub its face against furniture.
All these symptoms indicate a classic form of the disease, but there are also neglected cases. If you do not treat a runny nose for a long time, then the nasal passage will be completely blocked, the dog will not be able to breathe correctly, she will inhale and exhale air with her mouth - this can be heard right away.
If the disease takes serious turns, then the discharge from the nose becomes purulent, sometimes blood streaks are visible in them. In this case, the inner lining of the sinuses swells, acquires an inflamed appearance of pink color. Such symptoms indicate that the animal has long been tormented by an ailment. At this stage, the dog may lose weight, cracks will appear near the nose, a depressed state is noted.
In the case of follicular rhinitis, growths appear on the mucous membrane of the nasal sinuses, when they knock out, wounds remain in their place. You can’t remove them manually, otherwise you may be infected.
An accurate diagnosis of the disease is carried out by the doctor. The veterinarian will establish the form of rhinitis, determine the stage of the course of the disease, or come to the conclusion that a runny nose is one of the symptoms of another disease.
Causes of Dog Rhinitis
Before proceeding with the treatment of the animal, the exact cause of the common cold is established. Often, the causative agent of rhinitis is harmful microorganisms, viruses, and bacteria. Nasal congestion can appear against the background of a common cold, during which the conditionally pathogenic flora of all the mucous membranes of the body is activated, and maybe the plague virus became the causative agent.
A runny nose in some cases indicates an allergy that has arisen against the background of dust, pollen, host spirits, or anything inside. This is a difficult process, it must be stopped, otherwise the pet can expect a fatal outcome.
Irritation of the sinus membrane by volatile substances can also cause rhinitis. The most curious dogs suffer from this subsequent inflammation of the mucosa. In most cases, the veterinarian prescribes drops that relieve swelling as soon as possible.
If a foreign body, such as a sliver, gets into the nasal passage, the pet will suffer from purulent discharge, quite often with an admixture of blood. Independent attempts to remove the item can make the situation worse. Removing a foreign body should be done only by a veterinarian. The sooner he does this, the lower the chance of subsequent complications.
Sometimes rhinitis occurs due to undermined immunity against a background of chronic diseases. If the liver, kidneys, lungs or any other organ of the dog suffers, then all health as a whole is undermined. In this case, the treatment of the common cold does not give a lasting result, the doctor, first of all, should lead to a chronic illness in remission.
Formations in the nasal passage, such as polyps, papillomas, nodes, interfere with breathing, the mucous membrane dries, and a runny nose appears against this background. They solve the problem in an operable way.
The surgical method eliminates congenital and acquired defects of the jaw, nasal septum, which interfere with normal breathing and cause rhinitis.
Fleas, ticks, or other parasites can be the root cause of the common cold. Pests irritate the nasal mucosa with movements, often getting stuck in the nasal passage. Sometimes dogs are allergic to parasites. The only way to cure a pet of rhinitis is to rid it of blood-sucking insects.
Dog Runny Nose Treatment
When identifying the first symptoms of a cold in a dog, you should immediately consult a doctor. The owners can provide first aid to the pet on their own.
Before visiting a doctor you need:
- Inspect the nasal passages and mucous membrane, for this you can use a flashlight. The color of the discharge, their consistency are evaluated, the uniformity of the inner surface of the sinuses, their shade are checked. When a foreign body is detected, you can’t touch anything, it is forbidden to use drops, they can push the subject even deeper.
- Using gauze or a cotton pad wound around a finger, dirt and crusts from secretions are removed around the nose. Previously, you can prepare a soothing infusion of chamomile and treat it with this area, a decoction will temporarily relieve the dog from itching.
- Veterinarians allow the use of nasal drops of general action, designed to destroy harmful microbes and bacteria. For each nostril, 1-2 drops of Maksidin, Anandin or a similar solution for dogs are enough. These drugs will not harm the pet, they are distinguished by their mild effect on the tissues of the mucous membrane.
- The dog should not lie on a draft or cold floor - this can aggravate the disease. It is necessary to ensure that the dog settles in insulated places where there is no way to catch a cold.
- Food should be habitual for the dog, it is impossible at the time of illness to switch to another food. It is important to provide the animal with a plentiful drink, it is desirable to give warm water.
After the first aid is given to the unhealthy pet, you need to show it to the veterinarian. The doctor will choose the treatment, depending on the causative agents of the common cold.
While the dog is sick, walking time is reduced as much as possible. The doctor will take care of the proper nutrition of the dog, prescribe additional vitamins of group C, B, A and others.
In some cases, washing of the sinuses will be necessary, the veterinarian can do this once, and may prescribe this procedure daily. Washing is carried out at home, for this purpose medicinal disinfecting solutions, as well as infusions of chamomile, calendula, St. John's wort are intended. Sometimes the doctor advises adding an iodine solution to the mixture.
In the case of follicular rhinitis, antibiotics are required. The formed growths are softened with ointment or petroleum jelly, sometimes hydrogen peroxide is used for this. Several times a day make lotions in the nasal openings.
In the chronic form of the course of the disease, the veterinarian prescribes powders that dry the skin around the nose. Long runny nose in many cases is a symptom of a more serious illness, the dog will be assigned tests and studies aimed at finding the root cause.
About runny nose in dogs on video
Prevention of a common cold in dogs
In most cases, rhinitis causes colds, prevention will help minimize the risk of the disease.
Preventive measures include:
- Good nutrition. Many dog breeds suffer from inappropriate food. A veterinarian will help you choose food. It is recommended that you consult a doctor about taking additional vitamins during vitamin deficiency.
- Active lifestyle. The dog should be on the street at least 2 times a day, walk should be quite a long time. The exception is bad weather conditions, in which case the walking time is reduced.
- Exclusion of subcooling. The animal should not freeze, it is necessary to ensure that the dog sleeps in a comfortable, dry place, is not in a draft. In the cold season, during a walk, you need to wear warming overalls on your pet.
- Vaccinations. You need to regularly show the dog to the veterinarian and perform vaccinations, following the plan.
- Protecting communication with sick animals. A dog can catch a viral disease from another dog, so if possible you need to protect your pet from communicating with sick individuals.
Another important point is hardening, it has a beneficial effect on the whole organism as a whole, strengthens the immune system. It consists in a gradual increase in the time of walk in bad weather. If there is a frost, then the walk should be shorter, but during the day you need to take the pet out to the street more often than usual.
Prevention and timely diagnosis will not allow to undermine the health of the pet.