Dogs can tag due to various reasons, and they do not because they are angry or jealous. Deviant behavior is not considered a sign of a disease of the genitourinary system. Urine labeling is an animal's instinctive behavior that begins after puberty. There are ways to wean a dog to mark territory without using traumatic techniques.
Why does the dog mark
This animal is territorial. In the first place with the dogs is the protection of the territory. Urine marks help establish dominance in a given area. Dogs brought up at home also put tags, but often not at home, but in nature. Indeed, in this case, the dog territory is all the places visited by her during walks. Animals can mark in places previously marked by other relatives to show what exactly they are claiming to this territory.
Other reasons include the following:
- the dog suggests that the surrounding area is its property;
- the dog believes that another individual is threatening the space he occupies;
- with the help of notes, the dog can protect the territory and show its requirements to other animals;
- if he moves to another place (so that there is the same smell as at home);
- tags are left by animals after a long separation from the owner (in this case, the four-legged friend expresses joy);
- if the animal is lonely (stays at home for a long time without attention and communication), then longing, sadness and other negative emotions provoke the pet to involuntarily empty the bladder;
- a sense of fear is often the trigger for an uncontrolled mix in the wrong place for this;
- insufficient duration of the walk (often it’s quite difficult for the owner to get up early, and he walks with his pet for a short time);
- resentment (the dog is able to survive this type of emotion, especially if the owner scolded the pet or beat it);
- revenge (dogs are often prone to revenge due to hidden grievances and other negative emotions);
- the appearance of a new member of the family (the dog feels some jealousy when the baby is born, because now all the attention will belong to the baby).
Labels are also used to define and maintain hierarchies. Only with the help of tags does the dog signal to individuals of the opposite sex that it is ready to mate. Using tags, dogs recognize:
- sex of the animal;
- reproductive status;
Are there any differences in tagging?
There are some differences in who and when of the dogs marks the territory:
- males mark much more often than females;
- uncastrated males mark more often than neutered males;
- knots mark during estrus (moreover, this phenomenon may be present among sterilized individuals);
- more dominant and active individuals mark more often. This is especially noticeable if they are in a pack;
- due to increased anxiety, timid, less self-confident individuals are more often marked.
What you need to pay attention to
Having found that the dog is aiming, it is necessary to analyze whether it has any possible health problems. If the pet urinates often and in large quantities, you need to show it to the veterinarian. The tendency to affix labels appears as a reaction of the animal’s body to the intake of certain medications.
The dog may feel emotional depression associated with the need for obedience. Animals are sometimes tagged during play or punishment. If the pet is not accustomed to the toilet, then he does not know how not to spoil the house. To develop the habit of emptying in a precisely set place helps to take food exactly on schedule. Frequent exits to the street help to establish the process of emptying the bladder.
The pet sometimes has a phobia of separation. Animals do not like to part, and before leaving the host, some individuals have bouts of nervousness. During such attacks, uncontrolled, instinctive urination is possible.
How can I fix the "bad" behavior of the animal
First of all, the owner must show himself as a leader. It is noticed that problems with tags appear just because of the desire to dominate. And if the animal firmly learns who is the master, then the labels and all the troubles associated with them will disappear.
Sometimes you can teach a dog to urinate in a tray located in a strictly designated place. This is best done if the animal is small. Accustoming a four-legged friend to the tray will be most effective and desirable in cases where the owner does not want to walk his pet several times a day.
If a pet often shows dishonesty, then he is punished. Punishment is permissible only in cases where the owner has just discovered a pet at the scene of the "crime." At that moment, when the animal has already urinated and moved away from the puddle, any methods of influence and education will be completely useless. It is categorically not allowed to use physical methods of influencing a dog: this is not only an unnecessary method of exposure, but also a source of psychological trauma.
Sometimes temporary isolation of a pet in the aviary helps. The four-legged should be placed in it, as soon as it was discovered that he had screwed up. For several hours there should be absolutely no response to the offender. Dog breeders recommend sharply and loudly saying "fu" if they are "caught" at the crime scene.
At the time of the untidy business, you can scare a little doggie out of a water gun. After this, you should continue to ignore the pet for several hours. The fenced place is treated with a special veterinary solution that neutralizes odor. If there is no such remedy, it is recommended to use vinegar, since its sharp unpleasant smell helps discourage the pet's desire to spoil.
A dog can be re-educated in a relatively short time. To do this, take the following actions:
- Put the pet in the aviary.
- A dog is released from an enclosure only in cases where it is possible to observe it (and this observation should continue uninterrupted). It is strictly not allowed to leave a pet unattended, because it can spoil.
- When the animal began to defecate in a forbidden place, you should strictly say "no." Then the dog is recommended to be placed in the aviary. It should contain an oilcloth on which the dog will urinate. A few hours do not need to respond to the dog.
- Gradually, the four-legged learns to walk on a diaper. Then it is placed in a tray.
- During such training, one must strictly adhere to the rules of dominance. The dog must clearly and accurately understand that the owner is you.
- In difficult cases, you need to contact a dog handler.
Other ways to get rid of the problem
If it became noticeable that the animal began to mark the territory during the walk, it is not necessary to try to limit such actions in any way. It is best to train the dog to feel at ease with the owner.
To wean the mark during walks on the street, use a leash, as it will help to turn the animal away from the place where you can put marks. The leash should be used immediately after the dog began to sniff and study the place and raise its paw. It is necessary to learn to predict such actions and reinforce the positive results of education.
Sometimes the four-footed ones mark territories unfamiliar to them. This can be residential premises, exhibitions, veterinary clinics, etc. When visiting such places, the dog should always be on a leash. Sometimes it’s best to leave her at home for a couple of days so that her habit of marking in new places is not developed and reinforced.
Sometimes when walking and away the dog can be distracted with a toy. In this way, she has a positive connection. When sniffing unfamiliar places, you must immediately stop such actions, since they are a harbinger of further "marking" with urine. You can prevent tags with a leash.
Video on how to wean a dog to tag
To prevent the misbehavior of the animal, preventive measures aimed at regulating urination should be taken. Veterinarians recommend listening to certain tips to help regulate mycotomy and prevent labeling:
- The owner should always use positive reinforcement.. Seeing that the animal marks, you need to interrupt this process, saying loudly "no" and abruptly clapping his hands. In such cases, the punishment is ineffective.
- Certain social factors should be excluded to prevent tags.. Some situations in dog society stimulate the desire to tag. The male must be kept separate from the flowing bitches. Sometimes an animal is affected by a situation when they are visiting where other dogs have already been tagged.
- You should limit access to those things that most often the pet marks. They should be kept in places inaccessible to her. These things are new purchases, personal items of the owner.
- Dogs that are prone to tagging should not be allowed into the house.. In this case, your animal will leave marks on top of the existing ones.
- It is necessary to restrict the access of the pet to windows, doors. This is where the labels remain most often. We must try to ensure that all yard dogs as close as possible to the door. Thorny bushes are planted around the perimeter of the courtyard or summer cottage. It is highly recommended to get rid of animal feces.
- The dog will not leave marks in closed spaces if barriers are equipped for this. It is noted that the four-legged brothers do not stain where they sleep. If the dog is difficult to retrain, then at the time of the absence of the owner in the apartment, a specially equipped dog cage is used. Sometimes a good effect is given by placing food above those places where the doggie crap.
- Goodies are put near the supposed places of tags. The dog will perceive these places as a source of food. Places where he previously crap, need to be made unattractive or inaccessible.
- Places where the dog has been tagged should be thoroughly washed.. But even with thorough washing, it is extremely difficult to completely hide the unpleasant odor. You can reduce its intensity if you wet a dirty place with a synthetic detergent. It is best to use enzyme preparations designed specifically for animals. But ammonia-containing products are not recommended: they attract dogs even more.
Warning labels are best immediately, as soon as it became noticeable that the animal is urinating in prohibited places. For this, there are effective simple and safe methods of exposure to the pet. At an older age, coping with the deviant behavior of an animal can be very difficult, and sometimes even impossible. You should not miss the moment and begin to correct the behavior immediately.