Probably, all owners of furry pets faced the problem of the appearance of lice eaters in the beloved cat. Infection occurs by contact during communication with a sick member of his family, dogs or from an infected rodent. Lice-eating in cats is a serious reason for seeking veterinary care. When diagnosing a problem, treatment should be started as early as possible.
The parasite belongs to the group of non-blood-sucking insects and causes a disease called trichodectosis. It has a body of light yellow or gray color, the length of which does not exceed 2 mm, and three pairs of clawed legs.
Tiny whipworms feed on hair, dead skin cells, and blood from dried wounds. They are often confused with lice, but these are completely different ectoparasites. Although the signs of infection with insects are quite similar, as are the treatment methods.
Female lice bearer can lay up to 60 eggs at a time, fixing on the surface of the hair with a special adhesive. They are almost impossible to comb out or wash. The full development cycle of the parasite is 3 weeks.
Cat infection is possible in several ways.:
- from an infected animal to a healthy animal through direct contact;
- from a sick cat to kittens;
- during contact of the animal with inseminated eggs of the lice-eating surfaces, in particular, litter in a sleeping place.
The risk of infection increases with the occurrence of predisposing factors. These include poor-quality nutrition, poor conditions for keeping cats - high humidity in the room, increased crowding, etc.
Symptoms of infection
Often, lice beetles are localized only on the head and neck, but with severe infection cover the cat's body right up to the tail.
At the initial stage, the symptoms of the disease are mild. The clinical picture of the disease is as follows.:
- hair loss - leads to complete baldness of certain areas of the skin;
- severe itching - the cat is actively combing the affected area with parasites;
- the presence of waste products on the skin of cats;
- development of hyperkeratosis or dermatitis - keratinized areas characteristic of scabs are formed in the affected area;
- poor appearance of the coat.
Symptoms of lice-eating in cats increase as the condition worsens.
Strong infection with parasites negatively affects the health of kittens. They lag behind in growth and in overall development.
There is a proven method that allows you to identify moisture beetles using active heat. To do this, the cat needs to be planted under an electric lamp or sunlight. The coat will warm well to the skin itself. Parasites respond to fever and rise to the ends of the hairs to warm themselves.
Treatment of cat lice eaters should be started immediately after the first symptoms appear with the help of antiparasitic drugs. You can purchase them in any pharmacy network by choosing the most convenient format.
You can use:
- Sprays. The most effective format of the drug. The basis of the tool is insecticides, because it can be used against fleas and lice. The solution is sprayed over the body of the pet, adhering to the opposite direction of hair growth. It is important to ensure that the spray does not get on the mucous membrane of the mouth and in the eyes of the cat.
- Drops. Antiparasitic agents of this format have the same abilities as aerosols. Treatment gives good results. The drug is applied to the withers area, from where the cat will not be able to lick it.
- Shampoo. A less effective tool for the treatment of lice beetles, since it is not always possible to completely destroy a large colony of parasites. But compared to sprays and drops, they are safer for the cat. The product must be applied to damp hair and foam thoroughly. Leave on for 5 minutes and rinse with the shower. For the treatment to be successful, the treatment will need to be repeated several more times.
- Collar. A good remedy for water-eating, if the animal does not like to bathe and can not tolerate treatment with sprays and drops. Tapes are impregnated with a special insecticidal solution. You just need to put it on the cat’s neck and wait for the insects to die.
- Pills. Selected by a specialist. They help in the destruction of various types of skin parasites and lice eaters in particular.
- Emulsions. They are used to prepare formulations that are used to treat the skin, kill insects and eliminate the symptoms of the disease.
Funds of the following brands received good recommendations: Bars, Hartz, Front Line, Stronghold and others. When using drugs, you must strictly follow the manufacturer's attached instructions.
With increased sensitivity, cats can be treated with folk remedies. To remove severe symptoms, the animal needs to be bathed in water with the addition of a decoction of a string, chamomile or bitter wormwood. But alternative treatment will be effective only at the very beginning of the disease, when the colony of lice beetles is still small.
The consequences of lesions by the lice beetles can be completely different and depend on the time of treatment initiation. The later it is started, the more difficult it will be to get rid of them.
The main complications of infection by lice-beings become:
- thinning of the hair;
- complete / partial alopecia;
- the development of dermatitis;
- diffuse inflammation of the cell space (phlegmon);
- allergic reaction;
- infection with tapeworms, hemabartonellosis and other parasitic infections;
- anemic conditions, weakness, general exhaustion of the body;
- exacerbation of chronic pathologies.
Neither street nor domestic cats are insured against infection by lice-eaters. That is why the prevention of parasites is extremely important. Recommendations will be as follows:
- The skin and coat of a cat should be treated with insecticaricidal agents at least once a quarter or using a medical collar.
- Maintain cleanliness in the house by wet cleaning at least three times a week.
- It is necessary to minimize the contact of a domestic cat with street cats.
- Litter of animals, floor carpets and baseboards must be periodically treated with special disinfectants.
- Inspection of the cat for signs of infection is necessary every day.
- It is necessary to maintain an optimal air humidity regime, preventing its overmoistening.
When identifying the symptoms of trichodectosis, it is important to immediately show the cat to a veterinarian who will diagnose and select the necessary drugs. Medicines will destroy the parasites and help protect the animal from re-infection for several months.