When a cat has a stomach ache, there can be many reasons for an unpleasant phenomenon. It is important to find out the cause of the disorder as soon as possible and to conduct a full therapy of the disease. In some cases, the animal’s life depends on the speed of diagnosis and the start of treatment. Abdominal pain in a pet can be noticed by certain symptoms. The owner needs not to miss them and pay attention to the violation of their pet's well-being in a timely manner.
Causes and symptoms
The cause of an unpleasant phenomenon can be so different in nature by reason that the owner will not be able to understand exactly what happened to the four-legged friend, if he himself is not a veterinarian. Knowing the cause of the problem, you can decide what to do if the cat has a stomach ache.
A very common cause of abdominal pain in a cat or kitten. Due to the long stay in the intestines, feces are overly compacted and cannot pass easily. As a result, the delicate intestinal mucosa is damaged and severe pain occurs in the animal. Often, constipation also develops due to the filling of the intestines with parasites. The main most noticeable symptoms of constipation are as follows:
- mournful meow;
- restless running of the animal around the apartment;
- futile attempts to cleanse the intestines, which the animal does not even take on the tray.
If there are sharp elements in the intestines, such as bone fragments, they can lead to rupture of the intestines, which threatens the cat with death if the owner does not take timely measures. Symptoms of a cat having a stomach ache include dilated pupils and aggressive behavior when trying to touch a problem area.
A dangerous condition in which a cat develops purulent inflammation in the abdominal cavity. The well-being of the animal worsens sharply, the cat meows in pain, its stomach swells. An increase in temperature occurs sharply and to significant indicators. Even with urgent veterinary care, it is not always possible to save the pet, since pus melts the tissue and leads to the death of organs. Successful therapy is only possible if the internal organs are not affected, and the animal is strong and with good immunity. Abdominal pain in cats and after recovery persist for some time.
If the disease is caused by a coronovirus, then the animal is doomed. Maximum sick cat will live a year. To alleviate the condition, you will need to do painkillers. The owner must understand that in the end, most likely, you will have to euthanize the pet.
3. Intestinal allergy
If a cat is intolerant of any product, it may experience increased gas formation, which leads to an extension of the intestines and causes pain. In parallel with this, the cat also has such symptoms:
- temperature rise;
- itchy skin;
- profuse salivation;
The problem is eliminated quite easily by giving antihistamines and a means to stop increased gas formation.
Inflammatory disease of the pancreas, which may have an acute or chronic course. With a disease, a cat develops a pain syndrome. The pupils of the animal are constantly dilated due to pains that are very strong. Blood is often present in feces. Without treatment, a pet can easily die.
5. Gallstone disease
It is commonly found in cats suffering from obesity. The disease is a serious danger, as it can cause a rupture of the gallbladder in case of complete blockage of its ducts. When feeling the abdomen in a cat, soreness of the gallbladder is revealed, which is enlarged in case of illness.
At the moment when a sick animal develops an attack, such symptoms of a pathological condition occur:
- pronounced trembling;
- temperature rise;
Sometimes a strong meow due to unbearable pain is possible.
6. Problems of the urinary system.
Diseases of the urinary system, in which there is an increase in pressure on the internal organs of the abdominal cavity, are the reason that the cat has a lower abdomen. You can notice a violation of the condition of the pet by the scarcity of urine released and the presence of a small amount of blood in it.
The cat can be poisoned for various reasons. The eaten leaves of a poisonous houseplant or products unsuitable for a pet can provoke a dangerous condition. It is the latter that most often cause cat health problems. Sometimes the owners seek to treat the pet with something special for him and do not even think about what they can do to him very badly. In some cases, poisoning can cause the death of a cat. Four-legged friends are poisoned by eating the following food and drink:
- alcohol - if you give the cat a drink, the liver will cause a serious disruption in work and can cause a dangerous condition, which will be accompanied by pain, vomiting, diarrhea, and even weakness can cause death;
- chocolate and cocoa - these products can cause severe disturbances in the functioning of the cardiovascular system and pancreas. Pain after such a treat in a cat first occurs in the abdomen, and then spreads to the chest;
- tea and coffee - a harmful effect, the same as that of chocolate;
- Avocado - Persian for cats is a powerful toxin. If you treat your pet with this delicacy, then he will be provided with abdominal pain, diarrhea and severe upset. In the event that the cat has a weak heart, treating can cause death;
- milk - adult cats cannot digest lactose, which is part of it. Because of this, their intestines are overloaded, and pain, diarrhea and vomiting occur. If the animal really wants milk, then he should be given dairy products, but only in moderation. You can also treat the cat with a small amount of goat milk, which is much easier for the cat to digest;
- feeding poor-quality feed - do not give cats spoiled meat and fish. They, like people, will be poisoned by them and will suffer from diarrhea, vomiting and severe stomach pains. Severe poisoning poses a serious threat to life.
Cats and dubious products that are not known about whether they will harm the cat or not should not be included in the diet. A cat’s stomach problems are not uncommon.
8. Worm lesions
When parasites appear in the intestine, it is constantly irritated and injured. As a result, the cat begins to suffer from constant abdominal pain and weight loss. The mucous membrane is inflamed. For this reason, the stomach hurts after worming for a few more days. At the same time, diarrhea and vomiting are possible, which help speed up the process of removing parasites from the body.
9. Problems with the uterus
When a cat is not sterilized and experiences abdominal pain, gynecological problems should be considered first. Most often, endometritis is diagnosed, which leads to inflammation of the uterine mucosa. The disease has a bacterial and fungal nature. The causative agent is entered sexually.
In an acute illness, a cat has a strong persistent thirst, fever, an increase in the lower abdomen and inflammation of the loop. Also, due to severe pain, the pet, even the most affectionate, does not allow itself to be touched. Treatment is urgent.
A cat’s stomach may hurt for many reasons, and in order to accurately answer the question of what the pet suffers from and to conduct quality treatment, a visit to a veterinarian is necessary. Today, you can quickly identify almost any disease, and prescribe the necessary treatment at a time