Vitamins for cats are necessary for their body to work properly and stay healthy throughout life. For pets with free access to the street, special vitamin complexes are needed in most cases only in winter, when animals cannot make up for the lack of certain vitamins in their diet with grass and sun exposure.
Cats, who are forced to stay in the apartment all year round, experience vitamin deficiency to a greater or lesser extent. It can be eliminated by enriching their diet with the help of special vitamin complexes. There are many different compositions that allow you to solve a particular problem. You can also purchase a multivitamin complex for your pet, which has a general effect on the body. It is best to give vitamins to the cat from hair loss.
When to give vitamins is not necessary
There are times when giving the cat extra vitamins is not required. This phenomenon is possible if the animal receives ready-made feed of a premium or extra premium class, which already has everything you need. In such a situation, additional fortification is not only useless, but even dangerous and can lead to negative consequences, since an excess of vitamins is no less harmful than their lack.
At what age what vitamins are needed
Depending on the age of the animal, its need for a particular vitamin-mineral complex also changes..
- Growth period. Kittens need a large amount of vitamin D and calcium for proper development, and you should pay attention to this when buying vitamins for them. Specialized vitamin-mineral complexes for kittens meet all the requirements.
- Adult cats. For them, the use of a multicomplex of vitamins and minerals is optimal. During pregnancy, cats need to additionally introduce calcium and vitamin D, without which the assimilation of the first is impossible. This is required for the full formation of offspring. Also, to prevent anemia and postpartum hemorrhage, the pet is supplemented with vitamins B and K.
- Old cats. With age, in animals, as in humans, there is an increased leaching of calcium from bone tissue. Because of this, they, like kittens, need a complex with calcium and vitamin D. Also, to strengthen blood vessels and prevent heart disease, they will need an increased content of vitamin B.
In what form are vitamins better
Vitamins for cats are available in the form of tablets, capsules, powder and liquid. It is most convenient to apply the latter. If they have a water base, then they can be poured into milk or water. When the preparation is oily, it is added to a small amount of meat or cottage cheese.
The powder, due to the fact that it may not be evenly distributed over the feed, is sometimes left untouched by the cat, as it does not like the taste or smell. The power to give vitamins is not reasonable, it will cost the nerves to the animal, and for the owner it can be traumatic. Vitamins can be used in tablets only if the cat herself eagerly eats them.
There are specialized vitamin complexes for cats in pet stores that you should also pay attention to.
- With biotin. Such vitamin formulations are applicable to cats of any age. They accelerate the recovery of the animal after illness, surgery, the birth of kittens and feeding offspring. Also, the compositions positively affect the entire body of the cat, strengthening and healing it.
- With taurine. Useful for cats of any age. They have beneficial effects on the digestive processes and the state of the intestines, as well as prevent heart disease and help prepare the cat's body for childbirth.
- During molting. When the cat enters the period of spring and autumn molting, she can be given special vitamins that help her to survive this period more easily. They accelerate the growth of new hair and provide additional nutrition to the skin, which is why there is no problem with dandruff. Also, substances that cleanse the stomach and intestines from hairballs are often added to such vitamin formulations, which, if not removed, can cause obstruction. Giving vitamins to a cat for cat hair is enough 2 times a year to molt.
- Vitamins for older cats. Such formulations help the body cope with age-related changes and natural aging processes. They also stimulate tissue renewal and slow down the aging of the animal as much as possible, prolonging its life.
- For sterilized. Giving vitamins is necessary already at the stage of recovery of the animal’s body after surgery. These vitamins not only allow you to accelerate the healing of tissues and relieve stress experienced by the body due to abdominal surgery, but also to normalize the hormonal background, which, after the ovaries are removed, is severely disturbed and cannot recover for a long time without additional funds.
- For pregnant. Pregnancy for a cat is a difficult period during which special vitamins help prevent baldness, as well as anemia and disturbances in the functioning of internal organs.
- For nursing. Such vitamins accelerate the recovery process of the cat's body after lambing and enhance lactation. They also ensure the presence in milk of all the substances necessary for the proper development of kittens.
Cats should not be given vitamins for humans. The dosage of substances in them and their ratio are different than what the animal requires, and therefore the use of such compounds will cause a lack of some substances and an overabundance of others. This will only harm the pet.