The phenomenon in which the protein in the cat’s urine is elevated is called proteinuria. The protein particles are small, then they easily pass through the renal glomeruli and therefore are excreted together with urine. If urine contains protein in a small amount, then this is the norm and the physiological process. When protein is elevated, this indicates a cat’s health problem. In such a situation, it is important to identify the cause of the problem and conduct high-quality treatment.
There are a lot of factors for the appearance of the violation, and only the veterinarian after carrying out the necessary tests will be able to determine why the cat's urine contains increased protein. There is a violation in the dog.
The appearance of a change in the composition of urine, in which there is an increased secretion of protein, is caused by various problems and further worsens the condition of the sick cat. Protein washed out of the body along with urine is present in the blood. Violation of its allocation is an indicator of a serious problem. The main causes of the appearance of pathology are as follows:
- systemic diseases such as systemic lupus erythematosus in which the kidney is affected;
- chronic bacterial lesions of the body, especially the urinary and circulatory system;
- infectious pathologies such as Lyme disease or ehrlichiosis;
- diabetes - old cats are most often affected;
- pathology of the pituitary gland, including Cushing's disease;
- persistent increase in blood pressure - hypertension occurs not only in humans but also in cats, most often over the age of 10 years;
- hereditary predisposition to the appearance of disorders in the process of urine production;
- inflammatory pathologies of the kidneys, including the ICD;
- inflammatory pathologies of the circulatory system - a fairly common reason that urine contains protein above normal;
- persistent metabolic disorders of proteins and carbohydrates, against the background of which there is excessive deposition in the internal organs of the amyloid.
The older the pet, the higher the likelihood that he will have disorders in which the urine will contain excess protein.
If the cat is suspected of having proteinuria, a full examination of the animal is carried out, which includes:
- urine analysis in cats for carotene;
- urine analysis for protein - decoding of urine analysis in a cat is carried out by a veterinarian. The amount of substance and its density are determined;
- pressure measurement;
- general blood test - shows the basic physical parameters of the state of the animal. Decryption is carried out in the laboratory or by the veterinarian;
- blood chemistry.
If necessary, other diagnostic measures are also performed, such as ultrasound and a general urine test. They detect the presence of stones. The veterinarian who treats the cat determines the list of necessary tests and analyzes. When protein in the urine even makes up the upper permissible limit, there is no question of pathology.
The manifestation of the fact that urine has an increased protein is similar in symptoms to the signs of many pathologies, from which it is impossible to make an accurate diagnosis. Symptoms that suggest that there is proteinuria in a cat are:
- lack of appetite;
- frequent vomiting
- rapid weight loss;
- severe weakness;
- lethargy and lethargy.
As soon as the cat revealed the first causes of the disorder in the body, it is urgent to visit a veterinarian to make a diagnosis and conduct quality treatment before it is too late. In some cases, when urine contains a particularly large amount of protein, and the pet’s condition is very serious, and therapy will definitely not give any result, the question may be raised about the euthanasia of the cat to stop its torment. The presence of excessive protein in the urine is a serious phenomenon for a cat.
Treatment is carried out after the reason why the urine contains protein in high concentration has been established. It is important to accurately determine whether proteinuria has a cancerous nature. If the violation is caused by the oncological process in the kidneys, treatment can be carried out only in the early stages of the disease, and therefore, if the process has already gone far, only supportive therapy is possible, as well as prescription of drugs to relieve pain.
If it is revealed that the cat is suffering from high blood pressure, then he is prescribed a course of drugs to normalize the pressure of the animal. Also, the cat is transferred to special feeding, in which salt and fats are minimized. At the same time, drugs with omega-3 fatty acids are prescribed to improve the condition of blood vessels and kidneys. Giving them every day.
It is important that the owner carefully monitors the condition of the cat during therapy and follows all veterinary recommendations, this normalizes the condition of the pet, including the protein that contains urine. As a side effect of therapy, the development of swelling is possible. In such a situation, the cat should be shown to the veterinarian. The specialist, having established how much urine contains protein, will adjust the treatment and prescribe means to remove excess fluid from the body. With timely treatment, the cat can live in violation for many years.