Mastitis is an inflammatory disease of the breast or its share. Pathology is found not only in a nursing cat, but even in one that has never brought kittens. Only females suffer from inflammation, therefore, the symptoms of mastitis in a cat or kitten are never observed. The owners, of course, are interested in what to do if the cat has mastitis. First of all, a consultation with a veterinarian is required. According to its results, the necessary therapy and how it will be carried out are determined. Self-medication of a pet is extremely dangerous, since a cat, without proper assistance, can die from severe intoxication or sepsis.
A careful home examination allows you to not miss a single symptom of the disease and determine the presence of mastitis in the cat at the very beginning. A common sign of any ailment is a change in the behavior of the animal. At the initial stages of mastitis, its manifestations are as follows: the nipples did not swell much, hardened and turned red. If these disorders are found in a cat, but there is no opportunity to urgently visit a veterinarian, then the animal needs to be immediately helped by its own efforts. In severe cases, you cannot postpone a visit to a specialist even for a day.
If a sick cat feeds kittens, then they are excommunicated. Milk with an admixture of pus can cause their death. When the inflammation is not strong, and the kittens are too small and cannot switch to another food, only the sick nipple is isolated from them. In order not to aggravate the stagnant process, milk should be carefully milked by hand. The procedure is stopped as soon as the nipple becomes soft. After this, a compress is applied to it with a decoction of sage, eucalyptus or calendula. The temperature of the compress should not be more than 38aboutC. Heat exposure will only aggravate inflammation.
When an admixture of pus or blood is detected when milk is milked, the procedure is stopped immediately, since there is a high risk of bacteria entering the bloodstream. The cat should be immediately shown to the veterinarian. If you have to postpone the visit for the night, then a compress with ichthyol ointment or baked onions is applied to the affected nipple to draw out purulent contents.
A prerequisite for a sick pet is peace, which the owner must provide her. If the cat has a milky period, it is necessary to reduce the volume of fluid in the first day. Water should be given only after meals and liquid foods should be completely eliminated. It is necessary to feed a sick cat with certain foods. The following feeding is recommended.:
- dry porridge - better buckwheat or millet;
- lean meat in boiled or raw form;
- not oily fish;
- dry feed.
At any stage of the disease, even before the visit to the veterinarian, the cat should bandage the affected nipples with a sterile bandage. This will serve as a prevention of additional infection of the mammary gland, which will only complicate therapy and worsen the condition of the animal. If a visit to the doctor takes place within the next 12 hours, putting anything under the armband is not necessary. If you have to wait longer, then an ichthyol ointment is applied. Before the dressing, the inflamed nipple is treated with an antiseptic.
How to treat a veterinarian
After examination, the veterinarian, if mastitis is detected, determines the degree of inflammation and selects treatment. In a serious condition of the animal, if mastitis is accompanied by the formation of pus, anesthetics are chipped and an abscess is surgically opened with further sanitation of its cavity.
- Antibiotics are used if the disease is bacterial in nature or there is a secondary infection of the inflamed gland or its share. Depending on the condition of the cat and how strong mastitis is, the preparations can be used topically, in the form of ointments and powders, or systemic for oral use or injections. When one nipple is inflamed, i.e. Since the inflammation is clearly localized in one lobe of the mammary gland, its antibiotic chipping is possible. Such a measure can be single or repeated after 2-3 days.
- If mastitis is provoked by fungi, then antibiotics are not required for treatment, and therapy is carried out with the use of pro-mycotic drugs, which are administered by injection. Treatment is often delayed for a sufficiently long period due to the difficulty of eliminating the fungus in the gland.
- It is impossible to treat mastitis without the use of means to stimulate the immune system. It can be both vitamin and mineral supplements for mild mastitis, and special preparations, even as strong as ligfol, used to maintain the body of the animal in oncology.
- In order to accelerate tissue repair, injection of the traumatine preparation is indicated. In its absence, it is possible to replace it with mastometrine. The medicine is administered intramuscularly or subcutaneously. It is usually easier for the owner to give a subcutaneous injection.
In order to improve the general condition of the animal and maintain the cardiovascular system, gamavit is indicated, the injections of which are placed subcutaneously or into the muscle. Apply the product for no more than 10 days.
In a particularly serious case, an operation is performed to remove a fraction of the breast or the entire gland. After such an intervention, the cat must undergo a quality rehabilitation.
After the first day of treatment, on a limited menu with a minimum of water, the cat is transferred to a certain feeding. Without this, mastitis is extremely difficult to eliminate. The nutrition that the animal receives must necessarily be as diverse as possible and contain all the necessary vitamins and minerals, as well as a sufficient amount of plant fiber.
If mastitis is found, the pet needs the following feeds and vitamins:
- mashed meat and vegetables - prepared independently from boiled or raw meat and boiled vegetables: carrots, beets, cabbage;
- lean broths;
- sea fish;
- dairy products;
- cereals - can be mixed with broths if the cat refuses to eat them simply with butter;
- raw or boiled eggs;
- vitamin and mineral complexes.
How well the owner was able to treat mastitis in a cat depends on how quickly it will recover and whether the disease will relapse. Mastitis is a dangerous disease that needs to be treated as soon as possible.