If the cat's hind legs are balding, then the owners need to examine the animal, since alopecia is not an independent disease, but a syndrome of pathological processes in the body. To diagnose the cause of baldness of the hind legs, the veterinarian needs to collect a complete medical history, obtain the results of blood and urine tests of the animal, and also conduct additional examinations, such as radiography or ultrasound.
Causes of Alopecia
Cat baldness of the paws is noted mainly with:
- vitamin deficiencies;
- allergic reactions;
- the presence of ectoparasites;
- endocrine disorders;
- diseases of the liver and kidneys.
Excessive hair loss in a pet, which occurs as a result of a lack of vitamins (a symptom is especially pronounced with vitamin deficiency B). In this case, periodic vomiting is attached to alopecia, slowing down growth and weight gain, disruption in the functioning of the muscular and nervous systems.
An allergy in a cat most often occurs on the components of the feed or filler for the toilet. With a specific immune response, in addition to baldness of the paws, skin hyperemia, the appearance of peeling and rashes are noted.
Ectoparasites (fleas, ticks) cause severe itching of the skin, as a result of which the cat constantly itches and licks itself and baldness is noted in these places.
Endocrine pathologies occur mainly in castrated cats and sterilized cats, since after removal of the glands that produce sex hormones, shifts are noted and the balance of hormones is disturbed.
Liver diseases develop due to constant intoxication of the body, diseases of the cardiovascular system, hereditary predisposition, group B hypovitaminosis, as well as some invasive or infectious diseases. Most often, the answer to the question why the cat’s stomach and hind legs are balding is precisely liver disease - mainly cirrhosis.
Depending on the root cause of the baldness of the cat's paws, an appropriate therapeutic regimen is selected.
- In case of vitamin deficiencies, it is necessary to establish nutrition and add to the diet of the cat, which special vitamin and mineral complexes are very bald.
- In case of allergies, it is enough to eliminate the foreign protein and the pet’s hair will again become shiny and thick.
- If ectoparasites became the cause of baldness of the paws, then it is necessary to get rid of them with the help of special veterinary preparations and the coat of the cat will be restored.
- When the cat bald due to endocrine disorders, the treatment consists in the appointment of hormonal drugs to the pet.
- With liver pathologies, maintenance therapy is prescribed, which will eliminate the intoxication of the body, help the liver cope with its functions, and also prevent the progression of the pathology and the development of secondary diseases.
When a cat balds on its stomach near its paws, it is very important to correctly diagnose and select a treatment. Otherwise, the condition of the animal may worsen, and in addition to baldness, loss of appetite, depression, impaired coordination, vision, and convulsions will be noted.