Of course, cats, like humans, are exposed to a variety of diseases, as a result of which their temperature rises. If the body temperature of the mustachioed exceeds 39.44, you should definitely contact a specialist. So, how to determine the temperature of a cat and understand that it is time to seek help?
Some owners believe that the temperature of the animal can be judged by its nose. There is a misconception that if it is dry and hot, then the cat is sick. However, this is not so, the state of the animal can be completely normal, therefore, it is not worth determining the temperature in this way. After sleeping in a cat, you can observe just such a nose. You need to worry when the pet has a dry and hot nose for a long period, as well as very lethargic and inactive behavior. To understand that a cat has a temperature can only be measured correctly.
Two ways to measure the temperature of a cat
You should not think that the temperature of a cat can be measured by simply placing a thermometer under its paw. There are 2 ways to help you do this correctly.
Thermometer should be placed:
- in the ear canal;
- the rectum.
Ear canal temperature measurement
The first method is less effective, but easier. To do this, you should buy a special thermometer, which is designed to measure the temperature in the ears of cats. So, the determination of the cat's body temperature in the ear canal is as follows:
- press the animal firmly to the floor, it is better if someone helps you with this;
- insert the thermometer in accordance with the instructions specified by the manufacturer;
- it will take about 2 minutes to measure the temperature in this way;
- rate the result. If the temperature is less than 37.22 and more than 39.17 then consult a specialist.
Rules for measuring temperature in a rectal way
Of course, the rectal method is not very pleasant for the animal, because the owner must think through everything so as not to hurt the animal. However, it will help to accurately determine the temperature of the animal. You also need to calculate in advance all the steps so that the operation is successful.
To do this, adhere to the following rules:
- Choose a thermometer. Both a mercury and a digital thermometer are suitable. However, a digital one will help measure the body temperature of a domestic cat much faster. And it makes it possible to use a disposable sleeve.
- Grease thermometer. You can use some special tool or take a simple petroleum jelly. This will not only simplify the process, but also save the rectum from damage.
- Hold the animal well. Take the cat under your arm. The tail should be in front of you, and the paws rest on something hard, a table or a bedside table, if you do not comply with this condition, then the pet may scratch you. It will also be good if someone else helps you keep the animal. The kitten will behave calmer if you take it by the scruff of the neck, and this will help to accurately determine the temperature.
- Insert a thermometer. This must be done at an angle of 90 degrees. Shoving a thermometer is not recommended further than 5 cm. However, it is most ideal to insert it 2.5 cm.
- Hold the thermometer. With digital, it will be easier for you, because a digital signal will indicate you at the end of the procedure, but the mercury should be kept for about 3 minutes. At this time, the cat will try to break out, bite and scratch, but do not give in to all these tricks. Be sure to bring the matter to an end, otherwise you will not get the right temperature degree.
- Checking the temperature of a cat. If the animal has a temperature of less than 37.22 degrees or more than 39.44 degrees, then urgently carry a mustachioed to the veterinarian.
- Process the thermometer. After completing the procedure, it must be wiped with alcohol or a soapy solution.
Additional symptoms of the disease
Turning to the veterinarian for help, you should also pay attention to the following symptoms, if any:
- lack of appetite.
It is these details that will help the specialist accurately determine the cause of the increased or decreased temperature.
Of course, if you can correctly measure the temperature of a kitten and seek help from a specialist in time, you can avoid a lot of trouble, and maybe even save the life of your pet.