Drontal for cats and cats - a remedy from the German company Vaueg HealthCare AG for the prevention and treatment of worms. It belongs to the category of low-hazard drugs and is among the five most effective and popular anthelmintic drugs.
Composition and form of release
The drug is available in the form of white oval tablets with a dividing groove, which are packed in a blister and a cardboard box with instructions for use inside. Efficiency is due to a combination of two active substances:
- pyrantel embonate.
Both substances have a detrimental effect on tapeworms and roundworms (roundworm), hookworms, trichocephalus and other parasites of the genus nematodes and cestodes.
One tablet contains 230 mg of pyrantel embonate, 20 mg of praziquantel. Excipients: magnesium stearate, polyvidone, microcrystalline cellulose, colloidal quartz, corn starch.
How does it work
The action of the drug is based on damage to the muscles, nervous system and microcircular function of parasites, as a result of which their paralysis and subsequent death develop. The action of Drontal begins immediately after dissolution in the stomach (approximately 2-4 hours after ingestion).
The active substances act effectively on all worms that are found in pets in the Northern Hemisphere:
- cestodes (flat worms);
- trematodes (flukes);
- nematodes (roundworms).
Indications for use
If the animal’s appetite worsened and fatigue appeared inexplicable, the coat faded and the body weight decreased - this is an occasion to analyze for the presence of worms. If the result of the test turned out to be positive, it is worth carrying out treatment with Drontal.
Dronatal is suitable for use if the pet needs to be rid of helminths at any stage of infection or to prevent their occurrence. It can be used for cats of different age categories, including kittens that have reached 3 weeks of age and older cats.
The drug is prescribed for the most common helminthic invasions:
Before giving tablets for medicinal purposes, you should consult with your veterinarian. Perhaps, according to the testimony, he will prescribe another remedy.
The drug has several advantages:
- The ability to use for cats and cats, regardless of belonging to a particular breed.
- Suitable for animals with weakened immune systems, pregnant cats in late pregnancy and small kittens.
- High efficiency after the first application.
- Effect on all types of worms.
- Does not cause intestinal microflora disorders.
- Minimal chance of side effects.
- Availability - the drug can be purchased at any veterinary pharmacy. If it is not possible to purchase a large package, the tablets are sold even individually.
- Long shelf life.
Instructions for use
Before using the drug, you should first consult with your veterinarian and read the instructions that came with the package.
The dosage is calculated based on the calculation of 1 tablet per 4 kg of body weight. It is important to strictly observe the dosage!
It is recommended to give tablets in the morning, preferably on an empty stomach, because immediately after taking the medicine, the cat may feel sick.
For the prevention of worms, the drug is used in a similar dosage according to the following scheme:
- at 3 months (or earlier if necessary);
- at 8-10 months (puberty);
- every 3 months (every season) throughout life.
Drontal is allowed to be given to pregnant and lactating cats for the treatment and prevention of helminth infections, subject to the following conditions:
- dosage 1 tablet per 4 kg of weight, which was before pregnancy;
- the drug is given in the second half of pregnancy, but no later than 7-10 days before the proposed lambing;
- if during pregnancy anthelminthic treatment has not been carried out, it is allowed to carry out on 5-7 days after birth;
- three months later, it is advisable to re-treat the cat and separately for the kittens.
Important: Do not give Drontal in the first month of pregnancy.
You can use the drug for kittens starting at three weeks of age. Dosage - ¼ tablets, if the kitten’s weight does not exceed 1 kilogram.
How to use
To give the cat medicine, you can use one of the following methods:
- Stir in the feed or hide in a piece of delicious treat and make sure that it will be eaten right. This is best done when the pet is hungry and literally pounces on food.
- Grind the tablet and mix with water. Pour the resulting mixture into the open mouth with a syringe without a needle. It is preliminary important to firmly fix the animal, and the solution should be infused as deep as possible so that it is likely to be swallowed and not spit out. This method is especially relevant for kittens.
- Try to get the medicine to be swallowed: by taking the cat in its arms, open its mouth and put a pill on the base of the tongue. Next, close the animal’s mouth and stroke it in the throat to induce a swallowing reflex.
Dead parasites are excreted from the body in a natural way along with feces, so during deworming you should wash the cat tray daily with soapy water and change the filler. For small kittens that are already weaned from the cat, but are not yet able to maintain hygiene on their own, wet antibacterial wipes should be used after defecation. These measures will prevent re-infection through the helminth eggs leaving the feces.
Periodic deworming should be carried out for all pets without exception, even if they do not leave the house. Infestation with parasites is possible through raw food, water, dirty shoes from the street and even through the open balcony on which the city birds sit.
Since fleas are carriers of some types of helminths, it is recommended that the animal be treated with flea insecticides in conjunction with Drontal.
Contraindications and side effects
The tool is safe to use, but giving it the first time you need to monitor the reaction of the animal. Like any drug, it should not be used if there is a threat of individual intolerance to one of the components.
In addition, Drontal should not be used:
- during illness or recovery from a disease;
- before mating;
- less than 10 days before or immediately after vaccination;
- for pregnant cats in the first two-thirds of pregnancy;
- for kittens up to 3 weeks of age or weighing less than 500 grams.
In most cases, Drontal is well tolerated by the feline organism, rarely causing side effects.
Emerging side effects can occur as a result of intolerance to the active components or the action of toxins that are formed in the animal's body as a result of the death of parasites:
- profuse salivation;
These conditions usually disappear within 24 hours and do not require special intervention.
Kittens more often than adult animals have side effects in the form of digestive upsets. In view of this, it is not recommended to introduce new products into their diet on the eve of anthelmintic treatment and 2-3 days after.
Security measures and storage rules
During the use of Drontal should be guided by the safety rules and personal hygiene provided for when handling medicines for pets.
The drug should be stored at temperatures up to 25 ° C in a darkened place outside the reach of small children and pets. Shelf life - 5 years, after the expiration of which it is not recommended to use the product.
You can see the current price of the drug and buy it right here:
This is a fairly common drug, so it can be purchased at almost any veterinary pharmacy, pet store or online store. Estimated prices:
- 1 tablet - 150-170 rubles;
- pack of 2 tablets - 280-340 rubles;
- Pack of 20 tablets - 1550-1850 rubles.
Julia, mistress of a 1.5 year old Persian
Kotu is already 1.5 years old and during all this time he did not show any symptoms of worm infection thanks to regular Drontal prophylaxis. Every 3 months we give one and a half tablets. If earlier we tried to make the cat swallow the medicine, now we just push it and mix it into the wool-removing paste, which our pet loves, so it licks clean, not noticing any catch.
Andrey, owner of a 2 year old cat
When our domestic cat picked up worms while walking on the open balcony, they immediately bought Drontal in the nearest pet store. There were no side effects, the effect comes quickly, though the price is high.
Natalia, specialist of the veterinary clinic
I always recommend Drontal clients for the prevention and treatment of any stage of helminthic infestations. Over the years, there have never been complaints about the occurrence of any side effects. The main thing is to strictly adhere to the dosage and not to use after the expiration date.
Vera, a veterinarian with 8 years of experience
A drug popular among cat owners that is well tolerated even by the smallest kittens. Despite the fact that sometimes complaints of stool disorder are received, this is a natural reaction of the body that does not require additional intervention and treatment. I did not come across more serious side effects.