Owners of bitches, in addition to care, training, socialization, should pay attention to the health of the dog and know the features of the functioning of the organs of the reproductive system. Consider why a dog has a purulent discharge after estrus, when it’s worth beating the alarm and then doing it in a similar situation.
Discharge in a dog after estrus, types, features
The estrus (estrus, barren) is a natural physiological process in the body of females, which indicates the sexual maturity of the animal. It is characterized by a change in the behavior of the female, sexual hunting, characteristic discharge from the loop.
Discharges before, during or after estrus - the appearance of liquid substance from the loop (external genitalia).
Discharges in a dog during the oestrus period are classified into:
- Physiological (normal). These include mucous membranes (transparent). May be with impurities of blood, bloody substances. Normal discharge does not have a pronounced sharp unpleasant odor. As a rule, they appear in the bitch at the beginning of oestrus, before childbirth or a few days after the end of the void.
- Pathological (opaque, purulent). May have white, green, tan. They have a sharp fetid odor. Indicate pathological, systemic failures in the body.
Causes of pathological discharge from the loop in bitches after estrus
Any discharge from the bitches after the end of vacancies, especially abundant ones, is an unpleasant phenomenon indicating any malfunctions in the body.
Causes of pathological discharge after estrus:
- inflammation in the genitourinary system;
- acute, chronic kidney disease;
- improper use of hormonal drugs to prevent sexual hunting;
- poor blood coagulability (decreased platelet concentration in the blood);
- age-related changes;
- urogenital infections;
- hormonal imbalance;
- vaginal injuries, the presence of foreign objects in the genitourinary tract;
- peritoneal injuries, internal hemorrhages;
- hematomas of internal organs;
- violation of the sexual cycle (too long breaks between the beginning of estrus, a short break between estrus);
- birth defects, pathologies;
- endocrine disorders;
- infectious, viral and bacterial diseases (chlamydia).
In most cases, purulent discharge indicates inflammatory processes in the uterus (endometritis, pyometra), vaginitis, vulvitis, the development of benign, malignant tumor processes in the genital tract (venereal sarcoma).
Symptoms, the manifestation of purulent discharge
Not too abundant pathological outflows can not always be seen in clean dogs, while if you know the habits, manners of your pet, notice changes in the dog’s usual behavior in time, you can easily understand that something is wrong with the dog’s well-being.
Symptoms of pathological discharge after estrus in dogs:
- purulent, viscous outflows from a loop of white, light yellow, brown, green;
- decreased activity, drowsiness, fatigue;
- palpation of the peritoneum at the base of the abdomen;
- impaired coordination of movements;
- decrease, refusal of feed;
- violation of urination;
- seals in the area of dairy bags;
- pungent odor from the loop;
- poor coat condition;
- increased thirst;
- pale mucous membranes;
- discharge from the nose, eyes;
- unstable temperature, chills, fever.
The dog may be anxious, reluctant to make contact, constantly licks the vagina, rubs booty on the floor. Urination is frequent, most often difficult. In the urine may be flakes, bloody threads, blotches. The urine has an unpleasant odor, a dark brown color.
To determine what caused the purulent discharge in bitches after estrus from the vulva, the veterinarian will help after a comprehensive examination and diagnosis. For analysis, blood, expiration and loops (vaginal cytology) are taken.
Assign a number of additional laboratory and instrumental analyzes (ultrasound of the peritoneum, fluoroscopy). Symptoms, history data are taken into account. If necessary, conduct differential diagnosis.
What to do if a dog has purulent discharge after estrus
Treatment is prescribed by the veterinarian to the dog individually based on the results of the diagnosis, the root cause, age, physiological, individual characteristics of the animal’s body.
- Conservative, symptomatic therapy;
If a female dog has urological diseases of a bacterial, infectious nature, complex antibiotics, antibacterial, antifungal drugs, anti-inflammatory drugs, restorative, symptomatic medicines are used in treatment. For genital hygiene, decoctions of medicinal plants, antiseptic solutions are used.
When tumors are detected, a course of chemotherapy is performed. Assign general strengthening, supporting funds.
Important! In young bitches, vaginitis often goes away spontaneously, without any treatment.
They resort to surgical treatment methods to eliminate congenital effects, with severe damage to the uterus (pyometra in a chronic, advanced stage), removal of foreign objects from the ureters, genitals.